How to Choose the Right Restaurant SignsWritten by Elisha Yvonne Velasco ● Published on July 5, 2022
Signages are an important component in businesses. These are what draw the attention of passersby and potential customers and encourage them to find out more about what you have to offer. With restaurants and other food establishments, there are unique factors to consider when it comes to creating signs. This includes the typography, the graphics, and the overall aesthetic you envision for your customers. In this article, we provide tips on how to choose and design restaurant signages that impress and evoke curiosity.
Determine Who Your Target Market Is
Before you get started on designing your restaurant sign, it’s important to know your target market. Your target market may be families, working adults, the health conscious, or students.
Families – If your target market are families, the youth, or children, choose bright colors or images that pop to show playfulness and a welcoming atmosphere.
Adults – For adults, choose a simple but elegant design. Your sign should have a sophisticated look.
Health-Conscious – If your restaurant caters to health-conscious individuals, make sure to use images that show fresh and healthy food options.
Design Elements to Consider for Restaurant Signs
Every design element you choose plays an integral role in creating the restaurant sign that suits your business needs best. These are:
Aside from the target market, you should also consider the colors to use in your design. The colors you choose for your design should reflect your brand and the overall vibe you’re going for in your restaurant. For example, red is a popular choice among restaurants because this color immediately gets the attention of customers and stimulates impulse eating.
Orange and yellow are both bright and warm colors, and these represent cheerfulness and affordability. These colors work great for fast food chains, breakfast joints, or retro-inspired diners. On the other hand, green and earthy color schemes are perfect for salad bars and other establishments serving healthy food, while shades of black and brown are appropriate for barbecue and steak restaurants. If your business is an upscale restaurant, purple is a good choice because it leaves the impression of sophistication and exclusivity.
The letters you choose for your sign should not only be attractive but should be legible even from a distance. Using fancy lettering will all be in vain if it cannot be read by your audience. Make sure that the spacing in between letters or words is enough to create a sense of familiarity with your customers; that every time they see your logo or signage, the first thing that will come to their minds is your restaurant. You can also add images as a visual aid to convey your message better.
Adding contrast to your signs contributes to the legibility of your signages. This also helps in making your sign even more visible for onlookers. Use light-colored text against a dark background or dark-colored text against a light background. You can also add borders in your lettering or on images for easier readability. If you want your contrast to be somehow close to your preferred color scheme, add a drop shadow or outline to make the letters pop out.
Signs to Use for Your Restaurant
A restaurant’s sign is not only limited to its storefront. There are other sign options such as the menu boards, banners, floor, window and wall graphics, outdoor signs, and more. Here are some of the signs you need for your restaurant:
If your restaurant serves people who are ordering at the counter. This will show what kind of food or beverages you serve. You can go for a simple sign and display it on a window for passersby to see or go for an A-frame sign that you can place on the sidewalk to encourage customers to go into your restaurant.
Floor, Window, and Wall Graphics
- Floor Graphics – If you want to improve the ambiance of your restaurant, use floor graphics to add an artistic flair. Its base vinyl layer features an anti-skid laminate coating and a strong adhesive, which makes it durable enough to be placed both indoors and outdoors. There are also many options you can do to customize them. You can add your logo, slogan, images, colors, or advertise promos.
- Window Graphics – Window graphics are a great option if you need to maximize advertising space. You can opt for a window decal to display your logo, slogan, products and services, deals, or hours of operation. Additionally, you can choose to use just a small part of the window or cover the window completely.
- Wall Graphics – Wall designs or murals are perfect to add an aesthetic appeal to your restaurant. Adding quotations, images, or your logo on the wall can captivate your customers, encourage them to take photos, and post about your restaurant on social media. Make sure to match your wall graphics to how your food is presented for consistency.
Banners are an excellent choice for promoting specials or events that are happening at your restaurant. These are made of durable materials such as vinyl and can be used indoors or outdoors. Banners are also fully customizable. You can add your logo, and slogan, and change the shape and colors accordingly.
Outdoor signs come in different sizes and shapes. They can be a banner, a flag, an A-frame, an aluminum sign, a wooden sign, and more. These signs can direct your customers to your restaurant, advertise discounts and promotional offers, and highlight your logo. If you want to improve the exteriors of your restaurant, these are also great for decorative purposes.
Illuminated Signs and Other Special Options
There are instances when a simple banner or outdoor sign is not enough to get your restaurant noticed. This is mostly common in areas that are very busy or have a lot of foot traffic. To make your restaurant stand out among its competitors, choose signs that can be illuminated and seen from a distance. Some examples of these are:
- Monument Signs – These are free-standing signs that are placed a bit far from the entrance. They also sometimes feature LED lights or displays to get the attention of drivers.
- Light box Signs – These are custom illuminated boxes that have LED lights in them. They are used for storefronts and other outdoor commercial spaces.
- Neon Signs – These are bright signs that are colorful and visible regardless of lighting conditions. Neon signs are mostly used outdoors but they can also be used indoors to create a retro feel in your restaurant.
- Pylon Signs – These are tall, illuminated outdoor signs that are mounted either on one or two poles. These are used to showcase logos of brands and can be single or double-sided.
- Pole Signs – These type of promotional display is typically mounted on one or two poles. Pole signs are usually placed on roadsides so that drivers can easily notice your logo or brand from afar.
- Channel Letters – These are custom-made letters that are either made of plastic or metal. Channel letters help promote a business’ brand and boost brand visibility. You can illuminate this sign by adding LED or neon lights, and customize their shape, color and size.
Information signs display important messages inside your restaurant. Some examples include food allergy signs, brand history, calorie information, vegan options, how your food is processed, positive reviews, or awards.
Safety signs are informational signs that will direct your customers to safety should something unexpected happen in the restaurant, or to prevent any accidents from occurring. These could be fire exit signs, wet floor signs, first aid signs, and signs for fire extinguishers.
Knowing where to place your sign is just as important as creating your design. No matter how beautifully crafted your design is, it’s not going to work if it’s installed in a location that can be barely seen or read. Make sure that your sign is directly above the entrance so that your customers know where to go in. If there are multiple entry points into your restaurant, install your signs in all possible routes where drivers can easily spot them. Be also aware of trees and other elements that can obstruct your customers’ view of the restaurant.
- How to Get Business Sign Permits in Every U.S. State
- Signage Placement: Where Are the Best Places to Put My Sign?
Choosing the right signs not only helps in marketing your business, but it can also reflect your restaurant’s standard of professionalism. If you need custom restaurant signs, choose a company that can help your business stand out.
Here at 48HourPrint.com, we’ll bring out your fun and creative side. We provide quality printing at great prices. Talk with our friendly customer service team via chat or call at 800-844-0599. We’re ready to offer you the sweetest deals!